April 7, 2015

Intermittent

I wasn't sure what poem to write today. I wrote a couple, played around with words, finally just decided to write this because I need to post something today.

There are a couple of other poems in the back of my mind but I just can't quite get them onto paper. Tomorrow is a less busy day, so maybe then I can work on them some more, pull these wanna-be poems out of my brain and stick them into ink. Or maybe I'll just ramble out some more words about words. You never know.

Intermittent 

I read the dictionary sometimes,
at night when I can't talk to anyone,
or don't want to,
and school is too much pressure,
and I don't want to think.

Words sooth me,
how they run down my throat
like hot soup on a cold day
until they fill my brain
and I cannot worry any longer.

Tonight I am reading the letter "I"
"Intermittent: coming and going;
ebbing and flowing; periodic."

Last time I read the "I"s I hated them,
just "I-N..." "I-N..." "I-N..."
but tonight I hang on every word
and go on for pages at a time
before I fall asleep.

The power of the words and me
comes and goes, ebbs and flows.

1 comment:

  1. love the framing, the imagery. Who admits they read the dictionary? Reciting poems in my head soothes me, which is the real reason behind reciting them together every day in class.

    ReplyDelete