September 10, 2013

When Magic Comes to Life

Have you ever read the book Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke? It's one of my all-time favorites. Well, if you haven't, you definitely should as soon as possible.


But I'll read you the back of the book anyway, to help you out:

"One cruel night, Meggie's father reads aloud from Inkheart, and an evil ruler named Capricorn escapes the boundaries of fiction and lands in their living room. Suddenly, Meggie is smack in the middle of the kind of adventure she had only read about in books. Somehow, Meggie must learn to harness the magic that has conjured this nightmare. Only she can change the course of the story that has changed her life forever." -Inkheart

Basically, Meggie and her father, Mo, can bring characters out of the book just by reading a story out loud. Needless to say, I fell in love with this book. I cherish the idea that a character in a book could come to life. After all, in Cornelia Funke's own words: “Which of us has not felt that the character we are reading in the printed page is more real than the person standing beside us?”  

I know I certainly have, and often do with the Whisperers.
Now they are coming to life even more, and I can almost hear them Whispering to me, telling me to hurry up and get their book written. I want to obey; I really do. And I want so much to be able to finish and send it off to publishers and pray with all my might that the Whisperers can Whisper just as persistently to the publishing companies.



Maybe one day the Shadow Whispers will be all over the world being read by people. Maybe someday the words that I write will be an inspiration to another inspiring author who will in turn create his or her own novels to inspire someone else... and on down the line.

Who knows. Maybe?

I can only hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment