September 18, 2013

Stifled Magic

I always feel as though I do not read enough. In fact, I feel somewhat like a hypocrite- because as a writer I should be reading as much as I can, and encouraging others to read more, as well.

The thing is, when I read (if I'm reading a good book) I tend to get so engrossed in the story that I forget to write my own. Sometimes I can handle the mesh of two stories, but some books are so well written that their story trickles down into every part of my mind, until I know that I will never be able to write my own words until I've finished with the others.

I'm worried that this new book I've picked up is going to have a similar effect. A friend recommended Divergent, by Veronica Roth, and I certainly pass on the recommendation. However, it's difficult to put down (which for most people would be a very good thing.)
The problem is, now all I want to do with a moment of spare time is read, and my writing is sadly lacking.

Link


Fortunately, because I'm enjoying the book so much, I'm moving quickly, and I wouldn't be surprised if I finish reading it before this week is up.

Unfortunately, there's a sequel, and of course I will need to read it as well.

Link


I have not given up on the Whisperers, though, and I will return to them the second I finish Divergent. I just hope there isn't anything so memorable that it accidentally slips into my writing. I hate having to go back and change names and places because they sound too much like the city in Lord of the Rings or the capital in the Hunger Games or the daughter in Twilight or the Shadow in Inkheart. Obviously everything I read takes a place in what I write.

Still- I'm not trying to use that as an excuse to stop reading so that I will never have anything that isn't mine. Although, that would also mean I can't watch any movies. Or talk to any people.


Another Link

Maybe if I read more and watch more and talk more, I'll have so many hidden ideas fighting for a place in my writing that none of them will be as significant or as prominent.

Anyway- I digress.

The facts are: Divergent is a fantastic but consuming book, and everything you read will someday come back to haunt you.

No comments:

Post a Comment