September 4, 2013

Preparing a Plot

Believe it or not, by plot, I'm not talking about my novel. For once, this post is not about the Whisperers, whom I have very cruelly ignored over the last few days. Instead, this post is about me.

See, the thing is, I'm a senior in high school.  (I've told you this already.) Therefore, I'm at that stage where suddenly planning is important.

When I write a novel, I never plan out the entire thing in advance. I make a few bullet points with the important events, and then the characters get to decide what happens as I write. All that really matters is having a few big events to carry the plotline.

Well, I'm at that stage of life where I need to figure out the bullet points of this up and coming book. What college should I go to? Where do I want to live? What do I want to study? It's a mess, honestly, and while I started out the summer ridiculously excited and prepared, I'm beginning to feel a little bit overwhelmed.

So, I've narrowed down my choices to a top seven or eight, and almost all of them are part of the common application, which sure makes things easier. Of course, I have an essay that I started four times and have yet to finish satisfactorily. And that's only the basic essay- each college asks for separate ones as well.

Yep. This is pretty much how I feel.
However, I ought to return to the more positive side of life.

My dream, since forever (or at least, since I watched the Chronicles of Narnia and learned about C. S. Lewis and then read Goodnight, Mr. Tom and Coming on Home, and some other England based books whose titles I cannot currently remember) has been to go to England.
Fun Fact: When I was in fifth grade (I think) I read the Chronicles of Narnia. And, since the books I read each only showed a selection of the map, I went through and drew my own complete map of Narnia using the pieces shown in each book. I am still somewhat of a Narnia fanatic and always check wardrobes and put on green or yellow rings and often stare longingly into pictures of ships. As of yet, Aslan has not opened the doors into his magical world. But he will; I'm sure of it.


After a while, I settled on the idea of attending Capernwray Bible School, part of the Torchbearers program. My parents told (I think as a joke) that if I wanted them to help pay the cost I would need to graduate a semester early so the tuition money that would otherwise go to high school could be used to pay for England. Of course, I promptly agreed and rearranged and doubled up on classes so that I could graduate in December 2013 instead of June 2014.

The arrangements all worked out, and I will be graduating at the end of this semester.

And, I got my acceptance letter to Capernwray.


It's official. Not only will I be done a whole semester early, but when I finish I'll be moving to England for three months. I can't explain how excited I am.

So, while I am certainly overwhelmed, I'm also impatient and excited and nervous and ecstatic, and yeah. You get the point. There's a lot going on in my head.

But slowly, step by step, the outline of the plot of this next story is coming together. And soon enough I'll be off on the adventure instead of planning the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment