February 6, 2014

You Know You're A Writer When...

You know you're a writer when you turn your little Christmas village into a map of your world.

I love the little Christmas houses that I find all over stores each winter, and this year I've managed to keep them up until now, even with my mom's constant hints that I should put them away. I just, I really like my little Christmas village.

However, today, instead of taking them down, I turned them into a map.

See, I realized that I keep losing characters, and every time I start writing I have to take a little bit of time to figure out where everyone is. It would be so much easier if they always stuck together, you know?

And of course with time and major editing this shouldn't be a problem, because of course it would be terrible if the readers couldn't keep track of the characters, either. But in the meantime, I needed a way to keep them in track.

I was talking to my best friend, who also happens to be the person I discuss my writing problems with and the one who coached me in weapons for the first book, and he told me to make a map. He even offered to carve little wooden people for me to use, and I loved the idea.

But then today I saw the Christmas village, and, well, it works.

This is a terrible picture, but you get the idea, right?



Oh, and did I mention? Book two has 100 pages now. It's getting there, and I am so excited. Now today I get to go burn houses to get the Remnants out of Ciopal....

Hm, maybe I ought to avoid spoilers?

Anyway, what kind of you know you're a writer moments have you had?

No comments:

Post a Comment