October 9, 2013

A Traumatizing Night

I know you've all been there. Enough things pile up that you just end up traumatized.

I started the evening by finishing reading John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. I wish I could say that I did not cry, but that would be a lie. (Heje, see, I rhymed? I'm a poet and I didn't even know it.)
And no, that was not a spoiler. The book is about kids with cancer, what did I expect? I knew it would be sad, and that made it even worse.
Add caption

It's like The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, where the entire story is narrated by Death, and he tells you right from the start that everyone is going to die.


link

Still, somehow the foreshadowing just makes the tragedy seem more real. Plus, instead of getting caught of guard and crying at the end- I was waiting for it the entire time I read. It's like this anticipation of "who's going to die first?" And it's awful.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying the book was awful. I loved the book, but hated it at the same time because it was so sad and I was so attached to the characters that I did not want them to die. It was a good book, if you don't mind reading the page through a film of tears.)

So, anyway, I finished this sad book and went to go watch a movie, hoping that my dad had gotten some cheery feel good movie. Nope. He rented the Call, which is terrifying. I won't go into any details, but I sure know that I will never ever ever ever be a nine-one-one dispatcher.

As if those two things weren't enough, later that night I turn on my light to go get a drink of water, and there's this spider. His back was like- poky looking or something. So I call for my mom, because she happened to be in the kitchen, and she comes in to kill it for me.
Is that not the most awful thing ever?


And my mom hits this thing with a shoe, and it explodes into a thousand little baby spiders.

I had no idea that kind of thing happened. I thought spiders built nests and laid eggs. Apparently not, or at least not this particular kind of spider.
By the way, I did my research, and this is a wolf spider- and it carries its babies around on its back. Well, future wolf spiders- carry your babies FAR AWAY from my room.

So yeah, traumatizing night.
Be very, very careful before killing a spider, and never assume that it won't multiply under your shoe.

4 comments:

  1. The Fault in Our Stars!
    Such a sad book. I don't usually cry when I read but this just was so sad.
    And I had no idea there was a species of spider that did that. I would like to see it(even when it looks awful ) though I do not think we have those kinds here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cry all the time in books. The two I remember most vividly are Anne of Green Gables and the Book Thief. And now the Fault in Our Stars as well.

    And apparently those spiders are pretty common, since three of my friends had all had similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember crying really badly when Dobby died in Harry Potter. It was as bad as JKR killing off Hagrid. And I cry whenever I reach the end of almost every story. It's crazy, really, how much we cry. You'd think we'd have run out of tears by now.
    And, gah! The Book Thief made my inners cry for days on end, even when it'd been pretty clear that all of Himmel Street (except Liesel) was going to die eventually. It still hit pretty hard.
    Poor Rudy. ='(
    I hate spiders. O_O If I were you I'd have run upstairs and hidden in my sock drawer. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I also cried when Dobby died. It's so true, I cry so much, especially when reading books. Any sad book is just so devastating to me. :(
    And yes, Book Thief, they basically tell you from the beginning that everyone will die, but I was still hoping... and Rudy...
    I'm going to start crying just remembering.

    ReplyDelete