March 26, 2014

Through the Sky

I am now in the beautiful Colorado visiting my older sister for a couple of weeks, and it's so good to be back with her. I look forward to days of awesome while we eat candy and watch movies and paint each others finger nails and do each others hair.

I guess all of the adventure has started now, since I said goodbye to my parents a few days ago and said goodbye to my house and my dog a few days before that. I tried to avoid goodbyes to friends as much as possible, though I still wish I'd run back to give my best friend one more hug before I turned to walk away and let him go on to school. I miss him a ton already, and it hasn't even been a week yet.

But traveling went well, mostly uneventful, as I drove from Oaxaca to Cuernavaca for a retreat and then flew from Mexico City to Houston to Austin and finally to Denver, where my grandpa picked me up and I stayed the first night with him and my grandma before driving out to meet my sister.

A baby cried the entire flight from Houston to Austin, but I slept through most of it anyway, and my gate got moved once or twice and my arms and back are so sore from dragging around all that luggage. But I got to finish reading C. S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet and am almost half way through 100 Years of Solitude. And while I haven't written as much as I should be writing, I do have a new journal just for writing about my travels, and I spent quite a bit of time people watching at the airport and then writing out possible stories for the most interesting people I saw.

So while I'm in between books right now and not working on a novel, I'm definitely getting some new novel material, and I'm so excited to see what other characters, settings, and plots pop up along the way as I fly across the world. I'm sure there are stories everywhere, I just need to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment