August 25, 2014

Writing My Way To The Future

A part of me is saying not to write this blog post. The other part knows that writing, any kind of writing, will remind me of all the reasons I have to be as full to bursting with amazement and joy as I was this morning.

I mean, just writing this I can remember what it felt like walking down to my second class feeling the sun shimmering down through the leaves (I hate the word shimmering... especially in reference to sunshine, but the sun really was shimmering.) I don't know exactly what it was, but somehow everything just sort of fit into place and I knew I was right where I belong.

Then later, sitting in my first Introduction to Professional Writing class listening to my professor's accent and taking in the details of the round room and the gorgeous skylight and the one straight wall that cut the circled room into a slightly more than half circle.

It's like my life has always been up in the air and tossed around in every direction imaginable, and now all of a sudden I've been dropped down into college, and I was so terrified to come here and so worried about this huge thing in front of me called college, but now I'm here and it's wonderful. I feel like a college student; I feel ready to be a college student. 

Of course nothing gold can stay, and there's always a little shadow to block out the sun if I let it. Communication with old friends is really hard when all of my old friends are busy with college beginnings as well, and all over the world. I feel like so many of my friends are slipping through my fingers and I know that I can't catch them all and that really hurts. Dating an amazing man who's on the other end of the country is really hard, especially during these first few days as our schedules are changing and unknown and we haven't been able to Skype or talk over the phone since orientation started.

But I want to focus on the good. Live life moment by moment and take hold of the present instead of wishing for the impossible, even if the impossible is just a phone call. So here's a bit of a peak at my new college friends. (Hopefully if they ever find out I have a blog and write about them they won't mind. There is a danger to befriending a writer, after all.)

They're from all over the country and somehow ended up bonding over the fact that we're all freshmen in the same residential hall. We call ourselves the Breakfast Club, or at least mentioned it once, but I think it fits. We don't quite fill the exact stereotypes, and there are more than five of us, but it sort of works. One guy looks like John Cusack, another is just loud and friendly, another ridiculously quiet, one girl is practically a hippie and calls me Mexico, another is a crazy and fun New Yorker, the other is my roommate who's studying game programming and likes anime and manga and South Park, another carries around a long board and is slightly crazy and cheerful, and one is mostly normal in the best way possible.

Anyway, I suppose sleep may be a good idea. I do still have a couple more first classes tomorrow, so I should be wide awake and ready for them. I have a feeling this post doesn't make any sense and doesn't flow very well, but I think I mostly write these blog posts for me, anyway. Every once in a while I lean toward some kind of audience, but usually it's just another way to keep myself writing as often as I possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment